Wednesday, July 6, 2011

So Much To Do

20 days and counting and boy, are the days slipping away at a rapid-fire pace! 

Let me start by saying that I am feeling wonderful!  I have seen every doctor under the sun and all have given me a clean bill of health and the go-ahead for the move to Mumbai.  Thank you, Jesus!  I also go to “cardio rehab” 3 times a week, which is basically monitored exercise.  It is good to get back into an exercise routine and especially reassuring to have a heart monitor on as I do my work out.   So physically, I am feeling good and the recovery seems to be going extremely well!

In the last 2 weeks, I have had the chance to catch up with some good friends.  Dinner in Joplin with DeGee Brown and Teresa Fugate, as well as a few other former Reading Recovery teacher buddies. DeGee and I taught RR and Teresa was our amazing Teacher Leader.  By far, the BEST teacher I have ever had!  We caught up in Joplin and spent most of the evening talking about the Joplin tornado.  Teresa has been so helpful with her overseas advice, having taught in Rio and Lima.  Earlier, she shared some precious advice to help us prepare for a big move.  I just went back and reread her words in order to remind myself of her suggestions.  Thanks, Teresa!

We have also been able to unload lots of our belongings!  We have had 2 garage sales, and were able to give things we had left to a family whose home had burned.  I am sending several boxes of school resources and classroom library books to Joplin. I know someone will be able to put them to good use there!  Can you imagine your entire classroom literally being blown away and having to start all over?

Rick and I were able to slip away on the motorcycle to Mt. Magazine for a few wonderful days!  Think about it…Rick had left on May 11 for National Guard state emergency duty in Sikeston, MO to help with the floods.  On Monday, May 23, his unit drove from Sikeston to Joplin for state emergency duty after the tornado.  The following Wednesday evening, I had my “episode” and spent the next 5 days in the hospital.  Since then, it has been insane!  I am thankful to have a husband who recognizes how important it is for us to take time for one another!  Couldn’t have asked for a more perfect 3 day get away!
Our fabulous room with a view

Our morning view

Ths picture speaks for itself!



My boys making mischief at the Creek
We celebrated the 4th of July for about 3 days!  Sunday night, we went to watch the big fireworks display out at Cross Church in Rogers.  They did a very nice job!  We enjoyed it very much!  As excited as I am for our big move, I do love our country and am proud to be an American!  Monday, we went to Creekside Campground and played in the creek and shot fireworks.  Perfect day for the 12 year old boy!  He and another boy he met caught crawdads as big as your fist all afternoon long!   On Tuesday, we had our Bon Voyage – Farm Style party out at Rick’s folk’s farm.  Rick parents, siblings and their families, along with most of our kids and grandkids were there.  We soaked up the sun in the pool, enjoyed our beautiful grandbabies and had good food and conversation with The Thexton’s.
G'ma and G'pa and all the G'kids!

Papa, Naomi and Tully

Bailey cheez-ing it up!

So, play time is over and it is time to get things done!  Today, we moved several pieces of furniture into storage.  Our mattresses are on the floor and our clothes are in suitcases or storage containers!  Tomorrow we are packing up the kitchen and loading the truck with several things to take up to the farm.  Friday, I head to Memphis for the Lausanne Laptop Institute.  I finally get to meet some of my new friends, who are also new hires at ASB!  I come home Tuesday and I am SURE that Rick and Tully will have accomplished a great deal while I am away!
My attempt at being organized


Tully turns 12 on July 15.  We will drive to Kansas that night (with a pit stop in Pittsburg for some Chicken Annie’s!)  to celebrate Rick’s grandma’s 92nd birthday on Saturday with the entire Thexton clan!  By the time we get home, we will have 9 days!   I still need to say good-byes to my side of the family and some of my closest teacher friends.  (I recognize that I am avoiding good-byes!)  Insert ticking clock here!

I told Rick’s brother, John, who has his doctorate in pastoral theology that I am excited, but stressed about all there is still to do.  He asked if my stress would diminish once the “list” was all checked off.  Honestly, I’m not sure how to answer that one.  I love new adventures and am not afraid of stepping out of my comfort zone.  There is so much unknown ahead…new and in a new culture.  I am praying for peace as embark on this adventure and that I will embrace the newness and find joy in living our dream!

1 comment:

  1. You are so sweet dear to put me in your blog. As always, you give me way to much credit. You were and are a wonderful student who was and is hungry for knowledge. I am proud of the work you have done in Missouri and Arkansas. Your new school is so blessed to have you and your family. Thanks for carving out the time to spend with us. I wish all God's best for you and your family. Teresa

    ReplyDelete