Friday, September 23, 2011

Want to be a Bollywood Star?

Date Night took an interesting turn tonight!  After leaving Bungalow 9, Rick and I were working up our courage to cross a very busy intersection when we noticed a man walking toward us with what appeared to  be purpose.  He quickly introduced himself as being "from Bollywood."  A casting agent by trade.

I admit, I was taken aback just a bit!  I mean...is Bollywood a real place?  Could he possibly really be a casting agent, or did he just see a scam waiting to happen?

 He asked if we were traveling and I proudly declared that "No, we live here. I am a teacher!"  To which he replied, "At the American School?"

"Why, as a matter of fact, yes." I replied rather slowly.  Now he is getting my attention.

 I have read, and been told by other teachers, that American's are often recruited as extra's in a Bollywood film or to be in Indian catalogs and magazines.  Could he possibly be legit?

We chatted for a few minutes and he dropped the names of a couple of teachers, including a neighbor and friend, who he knew lived "off Carter Road".  It just so happens that she live right across the street and Tully and her son play together about once a week.  He encouraged me to call her and verify that he had, in fact, just used several students from ASB in a "voice over" for a movie.  I assured him that I would call her later and if, in fact, he was legit, we would get back to him.  We exchanged phone numbers and names and parted ways.

Tomorrow, I will call Julie, but tonight I googled him.  He is, in fact, a Bollywood casting agent.  Now I'm not sure that Bollywood is quite ready for me, but Tully and Larani might have fun with it.

This is just another example of how you never know what you are going to experience from one day to the next living in Bombay, er, Bollywood.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Kelli, you should have expected this kind of attention. I mean, how many redheads do you see strolling around on the streets of Mumbai, India?! I say go for it! I can't wait to see your new film career. Just make sure it's something like Slumdog and not Endhiron! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you always have the coolest experiences!! I totally want to be an extra while I'm here!

    ReplyDelete